Friday, August 22, 2008

This dream was just way to nerdy not to post.

This is the dream that occurred in between my first and third alarm this morning. I am surprised that I can remember it as well as I do.

So it all starts in J Alvin. It is one of those lame music events. Except there is a twist. It is kind of a blend of JBU and Hogwarts. And perhaps the Weird Sisters are the band. That isn't important. So I, Harry Potter, am obviously not going to stick around. The main character always slips away to find mischief. There is always something way more exciting going on on the sidelines. So I, still Harry, have gone to the back door, where Neil Ward is a chaparone in his standard Hogwarts looking robes.

He is on edge because he tells me that he was just seen a wolf out back. I run to the door with curiousity. Sure enough, where the boiler plant should be is a forrest, and I catch glimpses of something pacing back and forth between the trees. Then it comes into plain sight. It is an iridescent black, and moving closer to us, stalking us. Once I realize this I freak, and run. Knowing that he is no longer unseen, the wolf starts coming at us going all out.

It gets a little fuzzy here, but I think Hermoine gets eaten at this point and the crowd freaks.

Okay, back to outside. The wolf is at the tree. I think it is the womping tree or whatever that one that thrashes about is called. I now somehow can fly or at least jump really far. So I am about to open a Harry "fuckin" Potter can of whoop-ass on it. I lunge through the air, from a very long distance away, and grab hold of one of the tree branches. I have come at it with such speed that I start spinning around the tree, wrapping its branches on itself. As I circle by the wolf is jumping trying to snap me out of my tether-ball style attack move. But I am gaining speed as the radius becomes less.

At this point it gets really abstract. You might imagine that me wrapping around the tree might take a couple seconds and ruin suspense. What my mind did was really bizarre to aid the climax of action. An image of a text-box, like in InDesign, is overlaid upon the scene, and the words of the narator are inside. They are highlighted black, so the text is reversed out white. As I am spinning around the tree, and coming closer to the center, the text-box is correlating in its width...so the text box getting narrower. So the text-box reaches the point where is can only contain one word per line, this is when I have wrapped the branches around the tree as much as they can. Then they tree unravels at a great velocity, the text-box closing in was like loading a spring, so now it snaps and the naration goes flying. I swing around the tree, closing in tree kick that wolf asshole in the face, but it didn't phase him. Then before he eats me the third alarm goes off. (Phfew)

Later I tried to think what lead all of these things together.

Well, the other day I was talking about Gael Garcia Bernal movies with someone at a coffee shop. He is in Y Tu Mamá También, which was directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Prisoner of Azkaban was mentioned because Cuarón also directed that. P o A is the one with the great black dog.

Then Wardo comes in because I have been thinking about pestering him with some help on HTML code.

The text-box could be that I played an ilovetypography game alot yesterday.

And the wolf images come from the tale of St. Francis taming the Wolf of Gubbio, which I read earlier this summer but, that was a long time ago.

Dreams are fascinating and often nerdy when retold.

3 comments:

linda said...

oh.my.god.

melissa said...

I had a Hogwart's dream this summer. I was Hermoine. Best dream of my life. (okay, maybe not...but still, it was HOGWARTS.)

Molly said...

Wow Boone. Just read your dream. Please post more often. It'll be my entertainment at work!