Monday, June 29, 2009

The Viking and I

I have been in Tigmat for over 3 weeks now. I help Peter the Swede with his adobe house project. The majority is structurally completed and the work is most coating the walls with more mud layers, but also building planters for trees and flowers, laying concrete and such. This weekend I had a perfect day. The labor that'd usually make you sweat and your backside sore was quite refreshing due to the cool 20°C cloudy day, that was interrupted with rain. I was able to spend that afternoon drinking coffee and reading to the rain; a perfect combination.
Boone's Rainy day playlist is as follows:
Garbage-I'm only happy when it rains
Bob Dylan-A hard rains gonna fall
CCR-Who'll stop the rain?
Little Dragon-After the rain
and a bit of a stretch...
The Who-Love, reign o'er me

But what else do we do on the oasis? I suppose we chat a little. About IKEA? Pickled Herring? ABBA? Yes, those come up in conversation, but Swedes are more than just IKEA, Pickled Herring, and ABBA. I like to ask Peter the hippie why he thinks the world is quickly come to an end, and environmental catastrophe is on its way.
Sidenote: Let it be said that this area of the sahara which usually receives 3 days annually of rain has had 3 weeks this year. The farmers are quite thankful. They are having harvests bigger than they have ever seen. Too bad they don't know it is really iceberg juice that their crops are licking up, and that the ocean will be over their heads within our lifetime. :)


We also eat camel steaks bigger than your or my face. (The donors are pictured above)

Boone's end of the blog playlist:
a little diddy by Richie Havens, the famous cover artist, called "Here comes the sun".

2 comments:

annie reimer said...

son,i think this is one of my very favorite blogs of yours. how fantistic it all is...your music, your writing, the subject matter! everyone is so amazed at your adventures, and while i am too, as you grew, and then graduated from college, and all your adventures on your breaks, going to africa, well son, i am not surprised as much as i am pleased and i have hope again for myself, and courage, and well you never know for i just may follow in your footsteps. australia, iceland, italy, and of course starting with my travel to spain!
my miracle boy has grown into a miracle man.
siento su latido del corazon, el sombreo mis los propios.
su madre carinosa

Mr. Sánchez said...

hey man. that camel meat is surely hard to chew!!!! Un abrazo desde Çanakkale (turkey)